Note: Only released separately in the US. In the UK & Australia, this story was released as part of the Kamelion Tales box set instead. Unusually, one of the extras from the UK/Australian release is not available on this US release (the 25-minute making-of documentary The Flames of Sarn) since it uses background music which was not copyright-clearable in North America.
A strange signal from Earth draws the TARDIS to the island of Lanzarote, where Turlough rescues a young American girl, Peri, from drowning. Among her possessions is an artifact bearing an alien symbol — the same triangular mark that Turlough has branded into his arm.
The mystery deepens when Kamelion falls under the control of a powerful mind, and the TARDIS travels to the volcanic world of Sarn. As Turlough is forced to face his past, the Doctor must stop his oldest enemy from harnessing the revitalizing powers of Numismaton gas.
DVD EXTRAS INCLUDE:
- Audio Commentary by actors Peter Davison (The Doctor), Nicola Bryant (Peri) and Mark Strickson (Turlough) and director Fiona Cumming
- Return to the Planet of Fire Fiona Cumming and designer Malcolm Thornton revisit the locations (12 mins)
- Designs on Sarn Interview with Malcolm Thornton (5 mins)
- Deleted and Extended Scenes (15 mins)
- Continuity (1 min)
- Photo Gallery (8 mins)
- Isolated music score
- Production Note Option
- PDF materials (DVD-Rom — PC/Mac): Radio Times Listings
- Digitally remastered picture and sound quality
- Planet of Fire - Special Edition New 66-minute edit with option for 5.1/ stereo
- Optional Introduction from Fiona Cumming (1 min)
- Calling the Shots Behind the scenes (7 mins)
- Remembering Anthony Ainley Retrospective (12 mins)
Due to insurmountable rights issues, the "making of" documentary "The Flames of Sarn" cannot be included on this DVD.
Originally transmitted February 23 - March 2, 1984